Tales From The Pantry: A Butler's Diary

From the pantry of an historic country house comes the ongoing diary of its butler, Mr Dean Fielding. I shall be giving you a glimpse of the family I serve and of the lives both 'Below Stairs' and 'Above'. I hope you follow my jottings daily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Have been butler here for over 15 years. Having previously, and unusually for these days, worked my way up from footman to under-butler to my current post. You can now follow me on Twitter via: http://www.twitter.com/butlerfielding

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Film Crew Cometh

It would appear that I am back in the blogging (the word still makes me shudder, even after all this time) saddle far sooner than I had anticipated. I am rather tentatively sat in the saddle, like a rider whose last horse fell at the first, but here I am.

The reason for this is simple. Tomorrow a film crew comes to Carstone House. Do not get me wrong: I am quite a fan of film crews in their natural habitat. A film crew cosily ensconced in a film studio can create magical things. A film crew in the Italian Drawing Room here at Carstone, on the other hand, sounds far more menacing. When Shakespeare wrote "All The World's A Stage" in Act 2 Scene 7 of As You Like It, I get the feeling that a few of these chaps took him literally. Not all of Carstone is a stage, and not all of Sir Geoffrey's furniture is to be used as film props. An eagle eye is required I believe.

They are due here at 9am tomorrow morning. The battlements may not be formidable enough to protect the old place. With a due sense of dread, I shall be updating this diary over the next few days.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tierrie said...

Welcome back Sir. I had feared that Sir Geoffrey had found the blog and forbade you to write.

Good to see that is not the case.

Cheers, from California.

2:47 am  
Blogger Mr Fielding said...

Thank you Tierrie. It is most heartening to hear from you again. It is highly unlikely that Sir Geoffrey will ever find this blog. He struggles to find his socks in the morning, such are the technical complexities of a sock drawer. Computers to him are "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma." (to borrow from Churchill).

Am currently waiting patiently for the film crew to arrive. Perhaps they have got lost in the lanes around Carstone? That could be wishful thinking on my part however.

8:57 am  
Blogger CmentMixer said...

Advice from an amateur to a professional...Digital Camera, lots of stills. Good luck with the invasion. I look forward to the tales from the front.

4:04 am  
Anonymous EJay said...

The filming must be taking a great deal of your time as it's been several days since your last post.

Anxiously awaiting details, dahling (very Hollywood). I hope the experience has not been too traumatic.

3:21 am  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Mr. Fielding,

I have just stumbled upon your blog and have immensely enjoyed reading your posts. However, it has been some months, I believe, since you last wrote. I am hoping that all is well, and that I would have the wonderful privilege of reading more from you.

God Bless.

3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fielding, Oh Fielding!
Where have you gone?!

Your journal is truly enjoyable, or rather, your "voice" in written form is enjoyable to so many. It is absolutely unique and charming. Please let us have a bit more now and then!

Miss K

8:21 am  
Blogger Tea said...

Welcome back Mr Fielding!
I have missed you and your writings very much.
As others have said, even a once in awhile post :)

tea

10:49 pm  
Blogger Mr Fielding said...

Perhaps, for the records sake, I should add a small postscript to this event.

The film crew were superb and professional in every detail.

I do not really know what each job on a film crew entails (mysterious titles such as 'gaffer' and 'grip' quite simply bemuse me) but one role in particular appealed to me. Just before filming, to ensure silence on the set, a man would call out: "Rolling. Quiet Please!" At this juncure, a young lady, would then repeat that pithy phrase, in case anybody did not hear the first time; but, adding an admirable note of individuality, she would call out: "Rolling. NICE and quiet please!"

It is the small details that matter I find.

10:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visit Your URL propecia yearly cost - propecia 0.25

5:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

lululemon, nike roshe run, nike air max, air max, nike free run uk, nike roshe, new balance pas cher, sac guess, ray ban uk, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, nike air max, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer, true religion jeans, burberry, air jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, nike free, true religion jeans, ralph lauren pas cher, coach outlet, hollister, hollister pas cher, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, vans pas cher, north face, hogan, timberland, replica handbags, tn pas cher, hermes, michael kors, louboutin pas cher, nike trainers, nike air max, air force, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, michael kors, sac longchamp, mulberry, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren uk, oakley pas cher, nike huarache, north face

6:56 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, supra shoes, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, barbour, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg boots uk, moncler, louis vuitton, toms shoes, bottes ugg, moncler, karen millen, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, pandora charms, moncler, replica watches, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, canada goose, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, hollister, canada goose outlet, coach outlet, doudoune canada goose, pandora charms, montre pas cher, converse outlet, moncler, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doke gabbana outlet, thomas sabo, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski crystal, lancel
ninest123 16.01

7:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home